Welcome to Hitchin Rugby Limited Login Bookmark us! Easy Club Manager
Hitchin Rugby Limited


1st XV 32 v 53 Welwyn RFC - Away Cup Draw on 22 Apr 2017

Published on Monday, 24 April 2017


Hitchin travelled to Welwyn for this President’s Tankard semi-final, Questionable decisions by the officials and the Hitchin team themselves, left the visitors in a challenging position, but a second half recovery found them  matching the hosts at 32 all after 80 minutes


9 minutes into the game good hands shown by the Welwyn backs saw them score wide out, but the conversion was good.


5 minutes later Hitchin’s Vinnie Kevans picked up a fumbled pass to score close to the posts, but the referee deemed that the conversion kick had gone wide.


Welwyn hit back with a run in and converted  try before

a penalty awarded to Hitchin on 25 minutes was successfully kicked by Harry Elleston


28 minutes in  and  a kind bounce allowed Welwyn to score a converted try to take a  19-8 lead, but on 33  

minutes Hitchin were awarded a penalty in the Welwyn 22. However, rather than take the points on offer, they opted for a scrum which they lost against the head, and Welwyn sprinted the length of the pitch to score


But right before half time  the Hitchin captain James Bolter forced over from a quickly taken penalty which went unconverted to make the half time score 24 – 13 to the hosts



Hitchin’s revival started in the second half as they kept play for the most part in the home side’s territory, and after 25 minutes Bolter was denied what appeared to be a clear try on the intervention of the touch judge, but

three minute later Ryan Godfrey went over for his first try of the season, converted by Adam Shaw.


A penalty to Welwyn was kicked into touch & from the resulting lineout  5 m out from the Hitchin line the home forwards crashed over for an unconverted try.


The visitors quickly came back as  Kevans finished off some good driving play by the forwards crashing over from 2m.


A yellow card against Elliott Gibson resulted in Hitchin down to 14 men, and down a further 3 points through the resulting penalty, to give Welwyn a 7 point lead



But, with the clock ticking down Bolter drove himself over the line for a try and  Shaw kicked the conversion to level the scores 32 – 32 at the end of normal time.



From the kickoff in extra r time Hitchin gathered the ball but were bundled into touch and from the lineout the Welwyn backs moved the ball to theit wing, who broke through some tired tackling to score under the posts.

The home forwards were lasting the game somewhat better than the visitors and a classic combination of No8, 9 and winger down the blindside of a scrum saw another converted try for Welwyn.

The second half of extra time deep in their 22 under pressure from the home pack Hitchin lost control of the ball at the back of the scrum and the home side pounced on it to score another converted try to make the final

Score Welwyn 53 Hitchin 32


Welwyn play Stevenage in the final at Allianz Park on 30 April

Team Sean McGinnity, Thomas Tidey, Barry Mellor, Samuel Underwood, Nick Panton, Joshua Page, Daniel Holland, James Bolter, Rhys Gregory, Adam Shaw, Richard Sinclair, Vincent Kevans, Harry Cartwright, Ryan Godfrey, Elliot Gibson

Subs Carwyn Morgan, Daniel Barnes, Philip Hobbs, Harry Elleston

Scores T: James Bolter (2), Vincent Kevans (2), Ryan Godfrey (1) C: Adam Shaw (2) P: Harry Elleston (1)

Player(s) of Match 1. Vincent KevansLondon North West 3 The league: London North West 3



Bookmark with:

What are these?

Hitchin Rugby Limited, King George V Playing Fields, Old Hale Way, Hitchin, Hertfordshire SG5 1XL England, Charity No. 1159772
enquiries@hitchinrugby.com T: +44 (0)1462 432679